THIS POSITION WAS FILLED ON 5/4/18
West Coast Director of Advancement
Moishe House, the largest international organization serving Jews in their 20s, provides meaningful Jewish experiences for young adults through the development of vibrant home-based Jewish communities. In response to local demand and the success of the organization’s model, Moishe House is focused on further expanding its base of donors and supporters, activating philanthropists that are moved to invest in experiences that inspire young Jewish adults.
With over 100 houses in more than 25 countries, our model develops, supports and empowers young Jewish leaders as they create meaningful experiences in their local communities for themselves and their peers.
The West Coast Director of Advancement, based in Los Angeles or the San Francisco Bay Area, is a professional position responsible for the growth and management of a regionally-based donor portfolio of ~ $1M annually, consisting of existing individual and institutional supporters, with a focus on broadening the overall local donor base. This position works with Moishe House’s Board of Directors and senior staff to build upon the success of our fundraising efforts, while leading the development and execution of a unique strategy to effectively identify, cultivate, and steward individual donors (with a focus on $2,500+). Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area are of strategic importance and significant opportunity for Moishe House, which seeks to expand its programming in both regions over the next three years.
Essential Job Duties:
- Meaningfully engages a growing donor base, resulting in the successful solicitation and renewal of gifts and involvement from major donors to support the national and local efforts of Moishe House.
- Identifies and cultivates new donor prospects and lay leadership through regular, in-person meetings, networking, and relationship building. This position works independently and alongside key Moishe House leaders to develop a strong base of new funding.
- Facilitates meaningful and consistent touch points that instill a trust that contributions are an investment in the success of Moishe House and excitement around the residents and their work.
- Leverages Moishe House’s local presence, identifying and pursuing opportunities to increase the visibility and awareness of Moishe House in the relevant donor communities.
- Works closely with Moishe House’s Board of Directors and other local advocates, cultivating new supporters and raising awareness for Moishe House’s work, locally and around the world.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of successful fundraising/donor relations experience is required.
- Knowledge of and experience with donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques required, particularly in the area of major gifts from individuals and family foundations.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently (1-2 times each month) within the region.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
Other Critical Skills, Qualities and Abilities
- Entrepreneurial, self-motivated, and able to work independently and with a team.
- Strong work ethic, ability to multi-task, and attention to follow-through.
- Demonstrate a passion for Jewish community building and the mission of Moishe House.
- Excellent public speaking, presentation and written communication skills.
Moishe House Provides:
Competitive compensation that is commensurate with experience, and features a generous benefits package. In addition to salary and comprehensive benefits, including health/dental/vision, paid-time-off, life insurance, and 401k, Moishe House employees experience:
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill-building opportunities
- Occasional travel for Moishe House staff and learning retreats
- A fun work environment with awesome co-workers
- The support of the global Moishe House community
This position is based in Los Angeles or the San Francisco Bay Area and will work in Moishe House’s local office with other Moishe House professionals in either area. This is a full time position with regular (primarily regional) travel required. This position reports directly to the VP of Development.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter, resume and salary expectations to: email@example.com
PLEASE WRITE “West Coast Director of Advancement _ firstname _ lastname” and preferred location (Los Angeles or San Francisco) IN THE SUBJECT LINE
Moishe House is a dynamic organization that recognizes and supports individuals from a broad range of experiences and backgrounds. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation.