Please note: At this time, we are not filling this position.
Senior Director of Jewish Learning
Full-Time – Encinitas, CA
Starting Salary $120,000
Who We Are:
Moishe House is what being Jewish in your 20s is all about. Launched in 2006 when four friends began hosting Shabbat dinners in their home, Moishe House provides a space for over 70,000 young adults around the world to create meaningful, welcoming Jewish communities for themselves and their peers each year. To date, there are more than 100 communities in over 25 countries, and we’re still growing.
With more than 13,000 global programs and 150+ immersive Jewish experiences annually, Moishe House is on the forefront of Jewish engagement and education. We are seeking a Senior Director of Jewish Learning to unleash the power of Torah and Judaism to tens of thousands of young adults each year. This key management role includes leading a talented team of program professionals, educators, and facilitators, setting the vision for and implementing a comprehensive Jewish education strategy, and representing and enhancing Moishe House’s vision for Jewish life.
Who you are:
- You believe in our mission, and bring passion for experiential Jewish education
- You have demonstrated leadership and implementation experience, and strong management, communication, and organizational skills
- You invest your depth of Jewish knowledge in creating and leading vibrant Jewish learning opportunities
- You have a commitment and passion for making Judaism relevant and exciting
A Day in the Life:
The Sr. Director of Jewish Learning is a member of the Program Leadership Team, which oversees all global programming at Moishe House. This unique position focuses on building upon and leading the Moishe House vision to enhance the young adult Jewish experience. We are seeking a team-oriented professional and partner who will take a leadership role in the following four areas:
Building upon and leading the Moishe House vision for young adult Jewish learning, including:
- Leading the organization in continuing to develop its global Jewish educational philosophy and implementation strategy
- Being a thought leader in best practices for actively bringing Torah and Jewish enrichment to life for young adults
- Fostering an atmosphere of religious pluralism throughout Moishe House
- Actively writing and publishing articles, speaking in the community about the work Moishe House is doing, and creating Jewish Education Summits to explore future topics in Jewish education
Providing organizational departmental management and business administration, including:
- Providing leadership and supervision for the following positions: Director of Immersive Experiences, Jewish Education Retreats Manager, Jewish Retreats Program Coordinator, and 5 Regional Jewish Educators
- Implementing and continuing to develop a comprehensive strategy for Jewish enrichment across Moishe House
- Managing a $2,000,000+ and growing annual budget for Jewish education
- Matching Moishe House staff with compelling educators to guide and grow our one-on-one Jewish Learning program.
- Engaging in ongoing relationship-building with funders (above $100,000 annually), responding to requests and ensuring benchmarks are met for all proposals.
- Monthly travel for Moishe House staff and learning retreats, other immersive experiences, conferences and outside meetings.
Curating Jewish content & training a generation of young Jewish leaders, including:
- Ensuring high quality, impactful training on Jewish ritual and education opportunities are available to all Moishe House residents
- Implementing measures for evaluation and analysis of the quality and strategy of Jewish experiences at MH
- Coaching Jewish educators and ritual leaders at Camp NaiNaiNai and teaching at one camp per year
- Overseeing and teaching text, prayer, and ritual at the Moishe House North American National Conference for 250+ young adults
- Serving as lead educator for at least 2 domestic and 1 international staff-led training retreats per year
Leading the team that provides powerful immersive Jewish experiences for over 3,000 young adults annually, including:
- Developing a team of high caliber professionals by investing in their personal and professional growth and pushing them to exceed goals.
- Strategizing and taking steps necessary for Moishe House to become the global leader for convening immersive Jewish educational opportunities for young adults
- Providing oversight and setting annual and longer-term education goals for Jewish immersive experiences including at least 21 staff-driven Retreats per year, and 150 peer-driven retreats per year
Why You? ~ Because You Bring:
- Completion of Rabbinic seminary with ordination
- Minimum 7 years professional experience in Rabbinic, Jewish education, and/or executive leadership roles
- Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience and excellent developmental management skills with a keen desire to professionally grow employees
- Extensive experience managing budgets and coordinating complex projects
- A demonstrated commitment to pluralistic Jewish community
- Experience working directly with funders and key partners
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, strategic, and energetic environment
- Strong attention to detail, resourcefulness, and ability and willingness to learn quickly
- A willingness to travel monthly for work
- Effective demonstration of the Moishe Mindset: Be the Difference, Connect & Listen, Invest Wisely, Embrace the Unknown, Own It!, Value People, and Work Well, Live Well, and Have Fun!
- Direct Moishe House experience preferred (as staff, peer leader, and/or community member)
The Fine Print
This is a full-time position, working primarily Monday through Friday during business hours in the Moishe House Encinitas office. This position reports to the Chief Program Officer, and is a member of the Program Leadership Team. Starting salary for this position is $120,000, assuming you meet the minimum requirements as listed.
Thinking of Joining the Moishe House Team?
- Competitive compensation based on your match to the position requirements,
- Generous benefits package, including 100% of employee health/dental/vision, 401k match up to 3%, Flexible Spending Account, Paid-Time-Off, and Holidays,
- Great professional and Jewish development, mentoring, and skill-building opportunities,
- Energetic work environment with engaged co-workers,
- And, last but not least, the support of the amazing global Moishe House community!
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Sr. Director of Jewish Learning_firstname_lastname” in the subject line.
Moishe House is a dynamic organization that recognizes and supports individuals from a broad range of experiences and backgrounds. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation.
Applying for a job with Moishe House?
Wondering what to expect? Here is a preview of possible steps throughout our recruiting process.
- All applicants receive a confirmation email within one business day of receiving your application
- Video interview using an online app
- Video interview with the hiring manager or other leaders
- Skills assessment
- In-person interview
- Three professional references (including at least one supervisor)
If you are the selected candidate, we will call you to make an offer and provide the offer in writing. All offers are contingent on successfully completing a background check. If you are not the selected candidate, we will write or call you to let you know.
Above all, we appreciate your enthusiasm for Moishe House and promise to be mindful and respectful throughout this process—we’ll be in touch!
Questions? During your application process, feel free to contact us at: