Who We Are
Moishe House is what being Jewish in your 20s is all about. Launched in 2006 when four Jewish 20-somethings began hosting Shabbat dinners in Oakland, California for their friends, Moishe House provides a space for over 60,000 young adults around the world to create meaningful, welcoming Jewish communities for themselves and their peers. To date, there are more than 100 communities in over 25 countries, and we’re still growing.
The Moishe House team works towards our mission by believing in ourselves and each other, collectively creating innovative ways to reach young adults. We observe the highest standards of stewardship for the generous resources placed in our trust!
Who you are
- You believe in our mission and bring creativity, innovation, and hard work to our team.
- You have a passion for serving others, place high value in being part of a strong team, and want to be part of a dynamic, inspirational organisation.
- You excel in building and nurturing relationships, communicating and presenting, telling stories through grant-writing, and data tracking with great attention to detail.
- You are excited about tackling big challenges and new projects.
A Day in the Life
The Director of Advancement is a member of the International team and works with the Chief Global Officer, Vice President of Development, and Senior Director of Development Operations to grow and manage a regionally-based individual and institutional donor portfolio. This role has a focus on broadening the overall international donor base, with strong emphasis in London, and researching, writing, and submitting grant proposals and reports. This position works with senior staff to build upon the success of our fundraising efforts, while leading the development and execution of a unique strategy to effectively identify, cultivate, and steward individual donors.
We are seeking a creative thinker with outstanding networking, fundraising, and communication skills to play a key role in the fundraising and grant-writing processes, including:
- Meaningfully engaging a growing donor base, resulting in the successful solicitation and renewal of gifts and involvement from major donors to support the global efforts of Moishe House.
- Identifying and cultivating new donor prospects and lay leadership through regular, in-person meetings, networking, and relationship building.
- Facilitating meaningful and consistent touchpoints with donors, instilling confidence in Moishe House’s financial stewardship and excitement around our work.
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities to increase the visibility and awareness of Moishe House in the relevant donor communities, leveraging the organisation’s local and international presence.
- Writing/compiling about 5 grant submissions per month, including narratives and financial reports/budgets. (20% – 30%)
Why You? Because You Bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Additional 4 years of full-time relevant experience may be substituted for the degree.
- Minimum of 3 years successful fundraising/donor relations experience. Applicants with a strong interest and passion for fundraising who do not have formal experience may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Experience with grant-writing, tracking metrics, working in donor databases strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, particularly in the area of major gifts from individuals and family foundations.
- Ability and willingness to travel 1-2 times each month
- Demonstrated passion for Jewish community building and the mission of Moishe House.
- Demonstrated high-level public speaking, presentation, and written communication skills, including creating high quality and grammatically correct written materials, such as grants, presentations, manuals, or papers, with demonstrated exceptional writing skills.
- Familiarity and comfort with creating budgets and financial reports. Significant direct user experience with budgets and financial reports preferred.
- Demonstrated very strong attention to detail.
- Proven high level skills with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and other office management tools. Experience with Salesforce or other donor database strongly preferred.
- Ability to multitask and monitor several projects at all times, to work well under pressure, and to manage time effectively.
- Effective demonstration of the Moishe Mindset: Be the Difference, Connect & Listen, Invest Wisely, Embrace the Unknown, Own It!, Value People, and Work Well, Live Well, and Have Fun!
- Direct Moishe House experience (as staff, resident, host and/or community member) preferred.
- Eligibility to work in the UK is required to be considered for this position.
The Fine Print
This position requires weekday office hours plus occasional weekends or evenings and regular travel to complete job requirements. The position is located in our London office, and reports to the Chief Global Officer.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter, salary expectations, original writing sample (minimum 500 words), and resume to: email@example.com
PLEASE WRITE “Director of Advancement – International_firstname_ lastname” IN THE SUBJECT LINE
Moishe House is a dynamic organisation that recognizes and supports individuals from a broad range of experiences and backgrounds. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation.